OpenPIV is the community driven initiative to develop free and open-source software for Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) image analysis and post-processing.
OpenPIV is the successor of the popular URAPIV software, but it is faster, more user-friendly and much more flexible.
OpenPIV exists since 1999 in several languages and multiple versions.
From 2020 the main effort is devoted to the Python version of OpenPIV
- The main repository is Python.
- It can be used through a Python shell, as a script, as a Jupyter notebook or through a
- There are also additional extensions for the use of Python version on the cloud infrastructure, on a cluster GPU accelerated version, PIV as a service and others.
See all the links on the Software Packages page.
Matlab version of OpenPIV will not be developed after January 1st, 2021. We plan to translate the code to Python. This update refers to a large set of toolboxes:
- PIV processing in Matlab with a simple GUI, openpiv-matlab
- Spatial and Temporal PIV data analysis toolbox provides time and spatial analysis, e.g. velocity profiles, spatial correlations, FFT, contours of vorticity
- Proper Orthogonal Decomposition (POD) toolbox
- Pressure from PIV toolbox
- getWake toolbox for the post-processing time-resolved bluff body wakes, see our recent webinar on the Matlab version:
OpenPIV users worldwide distribution
View OpenPIV users in a larger map